S1 English Homework. Exercise 2.
Copy the following note into your jotter.
A verb is a word that describes an action. It is sometimes called Ďa doing word.' E.g. run, sing, talk, listen, jump, breathe, cry. The verb is the word in the sentence that makes the sentence make sense.
Some sentences contain a verb phrase. This is the main verb plus a helping verb. E.g. I have talked to him.
She is listening to music.
Copy out the following sentences and underline the verbs. Do not forget to underline all the words in a verb phrase.
1. John ate all the cakes and the crisps.
2. Have you seen my handbag?
3. I read the magazine then I watched TV.
4. You have really grown.
5. We are moving at the end of the month.
6. Rebecca walks to school with her friends everyday.
What are you drinking?
8. George threw the ball to Fraser.
9. I bought some milk at the shop.
10. Stacey is going to Glasgow today.
11. We went shopping in London .
12. I blew the candles out on my birthday cake.
13. Lindsay cried at the sad film.
14. Do you want to play football?
15. Have you read your book for English?