S1 English Homework. Exercise 15.
Copy the following note into your jotter.
In English, we use direct speech mainly to write down conversations between people in creative writing or personal essays. There are specific rules for direct speech that you must follow.
1. Inverted commas are always placed around the words spoken.
2. The first word spoken begins with a capital letter.
3. A comma, full stop, exclamation mark or question mark is always placed at the end of the spoken words before the inverted commas are closed.
4. If the identifying words (e.g. she said) come before the spoken words, a comma is needed before the inverted commas.
5. A new paragraph is required for each new speaker and to go on with the story.
E.g. “What time is it?” asked Jade.
“It's half past five. ‘Neighbours' is just coming on,” answered Colin.
“Oh good. Change the channel!” shouted Jade.
Colin reached over for the remote control and changed the channel to BBC 1.
Copy out the passage below and put in the capital letters, punctuation marks and paragraphs.
are you going to the disco tonight asked lauren i'm not sure as i don't have much money moaned jennifer lauren pleaded please just come i'll pay your entrance fee jennifer sighed Ok but I can't be late home.
Mrs D. Thomson