S1 English Homework. Exercise10.
Copy the following note into your jotter.
An adverb is a word that tells you more about a verb. An adverb nearly always answers the questions How? When? Where? or Why?
E.g. Ben ran quickly.
Q. How did Ben run? A. Quickly.
Most adverbs end in ly and come from adjectives.
E.g. soft? softly happy? happily busy? busily angry? angrily
Copy out the sentences below. Choose one of the adverbs to fill in the blanks . Only use each adverb once.
slowly loudly quickly angrily brightly
1. I want you to shout ______.
2. The sun shone ______ when we were on holiday.
3. The baby crawled ______ across the floor.
4. He glared ______ at the boy.
5. The girl ran ______ across the road.
Change the following adjectives into adverbs.
1. sunny 2. crazy 3. cosy 4. frosty
5. pretty 6. happy 7. sad 8. interesting.